The Holstein Bench Cannone 1743 Violin is inspired by the "Il Cannone" violin made in 1743 by Guarneri Del Gesu. This violin is benchmade (handmade by one master luthier) and comes in two different varnish options; antique varnish, and modern Italian varnish, inspired by the old masters.
The Holstein Bench Cannone 1743 Violin is setup by our Master Luthier and undergoes our famous 10-point inspection before it's tested and shipped.
The Paganini violin, known as "Il Cannone" (the Canon), because of the power and sonorous quality of its tone, was of all the instruments owned by Nicolò Paganini his favorite. Made by the renowned Cremona violin maker Guarneri (known as del Gesù) and considered one of his masterpieces, the violin has distinct features that set it apart from modern instruments, including a slightly shorter and thicker sound box, and a markedly curved neck. Its tone is distinctly bright, yet full.
Holstein Bench Cannone 1743 Violin Specifications:
- Antiqued Italian oil varnish or modern Italian style varnish
- Aged select Russian spruce and select maple sourced from high altitude forests (Aged 100+ years, dried 20+ years)
- Highest quality hill-style boxwood fittings (Antique varnish model) or ebony fittings (Modern Italian varnish model).
- Highest quality ebony fingerboard
- Titanium fine tuner and tailpiece adjuster / gut
- Deluxe Aubert Mirecourt French-made bridge (or Despiau 3-tree)
- Strings depends on what we think works best with the specific violin
- Methodical production process with plate tuning technology
- Comes with a Fiddlerman FC100 quality oblong case
Original "Il Cannone" Dimensions:
- Length of back: 35.4 cm
- Upper bout: 16.8 cm
- Middle bout: 11.1 cm
- Lower bout: 20.7 cm
Still not convinced?
You can request this violin on an In-Home-Trial, or request a personal video. If you can't decide between two models, we can record and send a comparison video for you to pick and choose. Chat with us, send us an email, or give us a call (800-595-0592) for a professional consultation.