The Skyinbow Pure Acoustic Violin / Viola active transducer system has been developed to offer string players a new option for amplifying their instruments. This unique system cleverly combines the noise free active electronics of the Skyinbow Active Transducer System with the latest in battery-free technology.
No external pre-amplifiers required. The specially designed Guarneri-style chinrest houses the impedance buffing pre-amplifier, 1/4" jack socket and re-chargeable power supply. The pre-amplifier is recharged by plugging a 9V (PP3) battery into the jack using the provided Battery Recharge Connector.
The Tri-Power Active Transducer System (T-PATS) gets its name from the fact that it can be powered from three sources:
- The onboard Rechargeable Supercapacitor “battery”
- 48V Phantom Power from the microphone inputs of mixing consoles, audio interfaces and many acoustic instrument amplifiers
- An external center-positive 9 Volt DC (9VDC) power source – for example a guitar pedal power supply or a battery belt pack
The T-PATS automatically detects the power source connected to it and configures itself to optimize operation with that power source. Please note that only one power source can be used at any one time.
Charging time: 1 - 2 minutes from a 9V battery
Working time: Up to 10 hours
Frequency response: 10 Hz - 22 KHz
Output impedance: 1KOhm
Maximum output voltage: 4v peak to peak
THD: Less than 0.007%
- Charge the Tri-Power System by connecting a 9V (PP3) battery to the supplied Battery Recharge Connector and plugging the combination into the ¼” (6.35mm) output jack for one to two minutes. A full charge will give you approximately 10 hours of playing time. The system switches on and off automatically when a mono (TS-TS) jack lead is inserted and removed. Once the system is charged, check that the system is working by plugging the system into an amplifier using the jack lead and gently tapping the transducer. Please handle the transducer carefully.
- Remove the bridge from the violin.
- Drill a flat ended blind hole 1/8” (3.2mm) diameter into the bridge at the point marked in the picture to a depth of 1/8” (3.2mm). Drilling this hole completely through the bridge is not required. Please note the hole should be on the bass side of the bridge.
- Insert the transducer in the hole you have drilled.
- It is important to make sure that the line on the transducer tip is horizontal as you insert it into the bridge. In order to ensure that the active part of the transducer is completely inside the bridge, you should insert transducer to the point where its tip contacts the flat end of the hole. The transducer is designed to be a snug fit in the hole.
- When you are satisfied that the transducer is fitted correctly, we recommend that you secure it permanently in place with a small amount of low viscosity superglue. The superglue will bond the transducer firmly to the bridge, which optimizes both tone and volume.
- Set up bridge.
- Fit chinrest.
*We recommend that fitting is carried out by a professional Luthier*
Fiddlershop is a small family-owned business located in South Florida. Since 2012 we have been serving the string community with quality instruments and accessories. We believe that music and instruments should be accessible to everyone at a price they can afford.