Multi-fiber tailcord


Multifiber Tailgut

Sale price$14.95
2 reviews   |  
SKU: AC918




This multi-fiber tailgut (sometimes called a tailpiece adjuster) is made with a heat-resistant, lightweight, and strong synthetic fiber - the same material that is often used in bullet-proof vests! 

The ends are unthreaded, so you will need to tie a knot after inserting the tailgut through the tailpiece (tailpiece and endbutton not included).

Available in two size options:

  • Violin/Viola
  • Cello

Customer Reviews

Customer Reviews
4.0 Based on 2 Reviews
5 ★
4 ★
3 ★
2 ★
1 ★
Write a Review Ask a Question

Thank you for submitting a review!

Your input is very much appreciated. Share it with your friends so they can enjoy it too!

Filter Reviews:
United States United States

Excellent tailguts!

These work and sound great! You just need to spread a drop of superglue around the spot you want to cut, let it dry for about 60 seconds, then cut on a diagonal. It makes a handy needle-like tip for threading through the tailpiece which doesn't "flower out" like the frustrated author of the previous post experienced. For a clear demonstration of how to tie the knot check out this YouTube video:

United States United States

Omg the saga!

So I decided to buy a violin at a white elephant sale to completely gut And bring back to life. One of the pieces I needed to get was a new tailpiece as well as the string to brace it. I decided to try the Kevlar because it sounded, well let me just say it, bad ***. So anyway I got this in the mail along with my new tailpiece. I went to the trouble of putting the fine tuners on to my tailpiece and that went fine. I removed the bridge that was too low for my style of playing and the original tailpiece and proceeded to begin the process of putting on the new tailpiece. So I whip out the Kevlar. The first side I tried didn’t wanna string through so I tried the other side. Those holes of a tailpiece are super super tiny. Now let me out at this point I have never tried to refinish a violin before. I’ve installed new pegs And I’ve refitted Bridges but I have never gone to quite this length to build an instrument back up to what I assume was its former glory. Well anyway so like I said I try to stick tone side of the Kevlar thread through the tailpiece and it was to frayed so I tried the other side which did go through but then I realized that if the first side wouldn’t go through that I should put the side that would go through through the other direction so I can double thread it and get it to actually be in the correct orientation for installing the tailpiece.At this point both sides of the Kevlar decided that neither of them ever wanted to be inserted inside anything called a tailpiece. At first I just tried to tape them with just a little scotch tape but that proved to be quite useless. Next I went to my sewing and craft box to pull out a variety of pins and needle’s and other gadgets to attempt a string through. fraying more and more Kevlar but to no avail. Now I had definitely prepared for this experience. When I got the Kevlar string it came only with four business cards and explained how to tie the knot But not much else. So I went on YouTube and I found a video for actually how to tie the string on a bass which is exactly the same as on the violin. I also watched another video on how to install a tailpiece so I wasn’t completely oblivious and going into this cold. However nothing in any of the videos I watched explained to me that I may end up having to light a candle to try to wax the end but that would also proved to be useless although still seemed like a good idea. So after over an hour and nearly pulling all of the interior out of the Kevlar wrap I Tried to trim it. Now having read other reviews for this online I had heard other people complain that the length of the cord made it difficult to tie. I did not want to cut the string if I did not have to. However I later realized that cutting the string was not exactly the easy option. After an extended period of fighting with the Kevlar string I decided I would have to resort to cut again. Have you ever tried to cut some thing that’s designed to resist bullets? It does not go well. So if you think that’s cutting it will help threaded through you might be incorrect. I did eventually get it through. I think it was done toying with me and decided to just adapt to its new life by going through the holes of the tailpiece. I still don’t know how it sounds because after over an hour of trying to get a string through a hole two times and then tying a knot followed by another knot And then actually adjusting the tailpiece to its correct and final position I needed to go out to the wine bar. So I tightened up the strings placed the bridge onto it’s correct position and left for the night. Maybe tomorrow I will find out what my violin sound like now but I do suggest if you have never tried to thread a tailpiece before not to get the Kevlar string. I am assuming that metal would’ve been much easier or rubber or anything that wasn’t Kevlar as it started to unravel. I left the ends of the string intact mostly because after trying to cut the Kevlar once I decided I was OK with seeing the Kepler strings while I played. It wasn’t worth it for me to spend another half hour trying to figure out how to cut it.

Fiddlershop founders, Michael Holstein and Pierre Holstein, posing in the Fiddlershop workshop with some of their favorite violin and violas for some of the best workshops

About Fiddlershop

Fiddlershop is a small family-owned business located in South Florida. Since 2012 we have been serving the string community with quality instruments and accessories. We believe that music and instruments should be accessible to everyone at a price they can afford.

Extended Return Window

Orders placed after November 15th will have at least until January 31st, 2023 to return or exchange.