Made in one of our award-winning workshops, this Holstein violin is inspired by the original Guarneri 'Del Gesu' 'Plowden' violin made in 1735. This instrument is bench made, which means that it was made individually by one of our master luthiers from start to finish.
This 'Plowden' Cremona c. 1735 has a spectacular one-piece back with deep, wide and remarkable flaming. The quality and dimensions of the wood (as well as the varnish) are copied from the original, to achieve the same tonal qualities.
The original was was named after its first recorded owner, the London collector C.H. Chichele Plowden, known as "the most reputed amateur of his day". Plowden purchased the violin from London dealer John Hart; he also owned the d'Egville, King Joseph, Dushkin, and Ole Bull Guarneri's.
- Structure: Top made of highest quality Italian spruce, and back of Bosnian maple
- Varnish: Antiqued Italian oil varnish
- Fittings: Boxwood
- Bridge: Hand-carved professional level Despiau 3-tree or Holstein Deluxe Bridge
- Strings: Player's or Maker's choice. We select and match the strings carefully to bring the most out of each individual instrument. For any string preference, please contact us or add a comment to your order.
- When you buy this violin, it comes with a quality oblong case case.
Length of Back: 355mm
Upper Bout: 162mm
Middle Bout: 111mm
Lower Bout: 208mm
Holstein instruments go through Fiddlershop's quality control and adjustment process. We take every measure to make each instruments sound its best. They are also covered by Fiddlershop's Lifetime Structural Warranty and include lifetime free adjustments.
Still not convinced?
You can request this violin on an In-Home-Trial, or request a personal video. If you can't decide between two models, we can record and send a comparison video for you to pick and choose. Chat with us, send us an email, or give us a call (800-595-0592) for a professional consultation.
Very good overall, especially the E string-No overtoneson my electronic tuner that I use for intonation learning and practice. However, the G string is a little grainy. Don't know if it's the arrow or the Indian. Same problem on my previous violin.RWS ft
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.